In a nutshell

Professionals from third countries (not EU /EFTA) require a residence permit and an employment permit to be able to work in Germany.
Depending on the country of origin, different prerequisites must be fulfilled for this. Recognition of professional qualifications and proof of existing knowledge of the German language are usually among the most important requirements. Professionals from third countries may in principle practice only their trained profession in Germany. There are exceptions to this rule.

Professionals from EU and EFTA countries do not require a residence permit to be able to work in Germany. However, if professionals wish to work in a profession that is regulated in Germany, they too usually have to request recognition of their qualification.

In addition to having an application for the recognition of qualifications “granted” and “rejected”, professionals may also be advised that they have to take certain advanced training courses and pass an additional exam before their qualification can be recognized.

In this case, professionals from third countries are only allowed to work in Germany after they have passed the relevant exam. In order to take these advanced training courses, a residence permit is initially granted for this purpose only.

By contrast, professionals from EU and EFTA countries and from privileged third countries according to § 26 (1) of the Employment Regulation (BeschV) may also work while attending these courses, but not in regulated professions. Only after the qualification has been recognized can they do so. In exceptional cases, a temporary professional permit can be granted.

Professionals can take care of all of the necessary formalities and make the corresponding applications with the respective responsible authorities. In recent years, numerous measures have been taken in Germany to make the immigration process easier for professionals from abroad. Yet the procedure still seems somewhat unclear and bureaucratic for professionals from abroad, especially if they still reside in their home country.

These formalities are extremely difficult to deal with without the support of the future employer in Germany. Employers may have the necessary resources in their own human resources or legal departments, or they may entrust an independent lawyer to deal with such matters.

Straightforward, quick and at the fixed prices listed under Order and prices - we look after the entire process, right up until receipt of the residence and employment permit - mostly on behalf of the employer.